Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ensanada at last

Finally made it to Mexico!!
Tuesday got up at 4am, but still managed to get a late start, 6:30 or 7am. Monday it was sunny and warm with a nice breeze that would have made a very nice start to the trip. However, we were not ready Monday. Tuesday brought overcast skys and no wind, however the seas were fairly flat, and after an hour or so of feeling "iffy", I got my sea legs back.

Mid morning we took a reading, and we had crossed the border!! FINALLY!! We were very happy that although we took a shortcut, we had indeed made it.

Early afternoon, it became clear, that we were not going to arrive before nightfall and we really didn't want to arrive in Ensenada after dark. We decided to stop in to the Puerto Marina Salina just north of Salsipuedes. We looked and looked, and I was getting discouraged, tired, and was not looking forward to another 4 hours and navigating the Ensenada entrance at night. Finally found them, but alas, no room at the inn.

So on we go, I crawl into the v-berth and promptly fall asleep. When I woke up, we were in the Bahia Todos los Santos, yahoo!! Arrival was a little exciting.

Our first attempt at pulling into a berth I realized that the dock on the left of where we were heading had no planks!! I could not see the dock we were heading for on the other side, but sure didn't want to pull in and have no dock to jump on. Last minute, I'm saying REVERSE! It was hair raising, but at that moment I saw someone on the docks behind us and I realized he was waiting for us. So around we came, and pulled in, it was not very gracefull, but there was nosplintering wood or blood, so a success in my book.

It is good to be here, and we are taking an extra day to rest up.

No comments:

Post a Comment